Monday 21 October 2013

Sampha: Dual EP...Let's get serious for a second

I wasn't really sure what this blog was going to be about when I first got it going. Was I just going to make interesting musings about various aspects of music and the musical world or was I going to review albums and songs and such like? Well I think I tried to make interesting musings; they kind of worked I guess, if you like that sort of thing. And I will continue to do that, when the moment takes me or if another 'great' idea strikes me. But I think what I really want this blog to be about is everything musical, whether that be posting a track I especially like or an EP or LP, basically musical things.

I'm no music buff, I haven't a clue about technical music terms, they baffle me! The only reason I use 'EP' and 'LP' is because they make me sound informed and knowledgable about music. Otherwise I'd probably just call an 'EP' a mini album, not something I'm proud of so we'll forget that ever happened and gloss over it. Anyway don't be scared as that is as technical as I will ever get about a piece of music! I do love music though, it speaks to me; a cliche I know but hey it just does. So all the tracks, EP's and LP's I post are things I like, things that resonate with me somehow and hopefully there will be a few that will speak to you also.

So here goes, the first grown up post this blog has made; in my head there are trumpets with a big fanfare playing. Very egotistical, but the fact I am even writing a blog is egotistical, I mean I think people actually care what I am writing about...deluded right!

Sampha, Sampha, what to say about Sampha...I am in love with his debut EP Dual, I have been in love with his music since I heard his voice on SBTRKT's self-titled LP which was released in 2011. The diversity he showed in his vocal range on that LP was immense. Why I love his EP Dual though, is it is raw, personal and from the heart. There is no pretence, you feel like your in a room alone with Sampha and he is pouring his heart out about the difficulties he has encountered. The last track on the EP especially resonates with anyone who knows the helplessness of loss, as Sampha weaves his vocals over a mournful tune with the lyrics "I can't get close to you". A song he wrote about his dad, whom he lost at the age of nine. This is a brave EP and one that I urge you all to rush out to the shops and buy, if that is too much effort though just join the technical age and buy it online. That way is a win win, you don't need to leave your home and you can listen to it immediately.

Did I get away with all that seriousness? I doubt it, it was even a bit intense for me and I was writing the dam thing!










No comments:

Post a Comment